Free Refills & Why I Love America Rotating Header Image

New Yorkers oppose soda tax, prohibition [poll]

20070120 Liquor StoreEarlier this week I wrote about Governor Patterson’s effort to overturn some of New York’s absurd blue laws and allow wine sales in grocery stores.

Unsurprisingly, the proposal seems popular. According to a new poll out by Siena College, 58 percent of New Yorker’s support the plan. 38 percent of respondents opposed the idea.

The poll also found that the same proportion of New Yorkers (59-38) opposes taxing soda and juice drinks.

So the takeaway is that about 60 percent of New Yorkers are completely reasonable. As for the other 40 percent, well… New York has more than its fair share of neo-prohibitionists and food police.

[Gothamist]

Related Posts with Thumbnails

One Comment

  1. […] proposal died last year after it proved about as popular as canceling Christmas. In New York, a recent poll found 60 percent of people oppose a tax on […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *